In the 1920s, the first post-revolutionary decade, the architect-constructivists transformed a dirty, red-brick industrial area around the Narva Gate in St Petersburg into the first socialist neighborhood with revolutionary new standards of living for workers.
In place of barracks a residential community was built, having its own secondary school for 1000 pupils (built in the form of sickle and hammer), a community centre with a workers’ theatre and clubs (awarded the Grand Prix at the Paris World Fair of 1937) and a round bathhouse called the “Giant”.
The tour explores the dreams of rebuilding society along socialist lines, and shows the beauty of avant-garde architecture and art, explaining its principles.
Monumental extravaganza: space buildings in St Petersburg
«We are used to thinking that post-war architecture is defined by dull apartment blocks of the Khrushchev or Brezhnev era, scattered throughout the city neighborhoods.»